PICKING UP A STUDENT
GOING HOME SICK
- If you are in class, ask your teacher for a blue pass to the Attendance Office.
- A faculty member will contact your parent and issue you an Off Campus Pass.
OFF CAMPUS PASS
If you have an appointment during the day:
- Bring a note to the Attendance Office before leaving school.
- An Off Campus Pass will be issued to you.
- Meet your transportation at the Main Gate on Youngwood.
- If parent needs to pick up student please come to the attendance window with a picture I.D.
- PLEASE ALLOW 15-20 MINUTES FOR YOUR STUDENT(S) TO ARRIVE OUTSIDE OR TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE SCHOOL
- Students will not be summonsed out of class 20 minutes before the end of the school day.
Forgot your note?
Come to the attendance office one of our attendance staff will contact the parent.
Pick up your Off Campus Pass prior to leaving for your appointment.
- Questions regarding un-cleared absences:
- May be addressed with the Attendance Office.
- May only be resolved within the current grading period.
- Students contacting teachers regarding “possible” attendance errors may do so ONLY within the current grading period.
Saturday School hours:
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
We encourage students to arrive by 7:55 am so as not to be marked tardy.
- Students must attend Saturday School to clear absences.
- Students may not attend school dances unless absences are cleared BEFORE the event.
- This also applies to being a guest at another school.
This is a great opportunity for students to:
- Make-up truant days or accumulated period cuts
- Makeup missed assignments/tests if arrangements are made with the teacher.
- Clear any full-day unexcused or truant absence so that students may attend school dances and activities.
- All truancies must be cleared to attend PROM
- The student is responsible for coming prepared with a chrome book, schoolwork, or something to read
- Cell phones, iPods, and other electronic devices are not allowed in Saturday school class.
- La Serna High School is NOT responsible for lost or damaged items.
- Electronic devices must be on vibrate or turned off at all times.
- Electronic devices may be confiscated if heard or seen.
- First offense: parent is required to pick up the item.
- Second offense: the item will be kept until the following school day (Monday).
- Students must attend for the entire 4 hour period in order to receive credit.
- Students who fail to follow instructions will be removed from Saturday School. NO credit will be issued for the time served.
- Students will be referred to the Dean of Students for further consequences if applicable.
- Bathroom breaks are solely for the purpose of using the restroom, students are not allowed to leave campus and return, loiter, or roam the campus.
Failure to appear may result in:
- Suspension for defiance
- Loss of off-campus lunch privileges
- Loss of athletic eligibility
- Possible transfer to an alternative educational setting
- Loss of eligibility to attend dances at La Serna and other schools
Saturday School Dates
1st, 8th, 15th,22nd, 29th
3rd, 10th, 17th
14th, 21st, 28th
4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
15th, 22nd, 29th
6th, 13th, 20th, 27th
No Saturday School on the following days:
November 12th (Veteran’s Day)
November 26th (Thanksgiving Break)
December 24th (Winter Break)
December 31st (Winter Break)
January 7th (Winter Break)
April 1st (Spring Break)
Off Campus Passes will not be issued for the sole purpose of going out to lunch
* A note or phone call from the parent/guardian must be received by the Attendance Office within 3 days of the absence.
* Saturday School will be assigned to students who do not clear their absences within 3 days.
* Once Saturday School is assigned the parent/guardian cannot clear the absence.
- Students absent more than 3 consecutive days will need a doctor's note to clear the absence as an illness.
- Students missing for a personal vacation can be cleared for a maximum of 3 consecutive days. Any additional day is posted as truant.
- The student can clear truancy by attending Saturday school. Each Saturday School clears one full truant day.
- Whenever possible, please schedule all vacations and other events for non-school days.
- Students with 10+ parent-cleared absences will require a doctor’s note to clear as illness.
- Furthermore, teachers reserve the right to not allow students to make up missed work. Without a Dr.'s note, no school work needs to be provided by the teacher (including quizzes and tests).
- Students and Parents may verify absences via the Aeries portal.
- SENIORS MUST CLEAR ALL TRUANCIES BY THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. ALL SENIOR ACTIVITIES INCLUDING DANCES ARE A PRIVILEGE AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.
*Parents/Guardians you must send a note with the student after an absence. Student must go to the attendance window with the note for their re-admit slip.
* If you come to school late come prepared with a note.
* If you are caught in the tardy sweep and do not have a note, you will be as assigned detention.
* Parents cannot excuse the tardy once you have been swept.
A - Absent
X - Unexcused (Personal)
I - Ill-Parent Verified
J - Ill-Dr. Verified
O - Other-Excused
Y - Truancy
F - Funeral
G - Government
U - Tardy > 30
V - Tardy, Excused <30
W - Tardy, Excused >30
6 - School Activity
7 - Testing
S - Suspended
8 - Viewpoint
5 - Office
3 - Saturday School - Involuntary