ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOOL DANCES
- Students must have all truancies cleared in order to attend school dances; this includes being an outside guest to another school dance.
- All single period absences must be cleared within the current grading quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to clear all absences. Student attendance information is available on Aeries.
- All absences that have not been cleared within the 3 day time frame (by parent/guardian) will need to be cleared with Saturday School.
- Dance contracts can only be cleared during nutrition, lunch and before/after school.
- Guest dance contracts (La Serna and outside schools) require a 24 hour turn around time to allow time for the form to be reviewed and signed by an administrator.
PICKING UP A STUDENT
GOING HOME SICK
- If you are in class, ask your teacher for a blue pass to the Attendance Office.
- A faculty member will contact your parent and issue you an Off Campus Pass.
OFF CAMPUS PASS
If you have an appointment during the day:
- Bring a note to the Attendance Office before leaving school.
- An Off Campus Pass will be issued to you.
- Meet your transportation at the Main Gate on Youngwood.
- If parent needs to pick up student please come to the attendance window with a picture I.D.
- PLEASE ALLOW 15-20 MINUTES FOR YOUR STUDENT(S) TO ARRIVE OUTSIDE OR TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE SCHOOL
- Students will not be summonsed out of class 20 minutes before the end of the school day.
Forgot your note?
Come to the attendance office one of our attendance staff will contact the parent.
Pick up your Off Campus Pass prior to leaving for your appointment.
- Questions regarding un-cleared absences:
- May be addressed with the Attendance Office.
- Students contacting teachers regarding “possible” attendance errors may do so ONLY within the current grading period.
Saturday School hours:
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
We encourage students to arrive by 7:55 am so as not to be marked tardy.
- Students must attend Saturday School to clear truancies.
- Students may not attend school dances unless absences are cleared BEFORE the event.
- This also applies to being a guest at another school.
This is a great opportunity for students to:
- Make-up truant days or accumulated period cuts
- Makeup missed assignments/tests if arrangements are made with the teacher.
- Clear any full-day unexcused or truant absence so that students may attend school dances and activities
- All truancies must be cleared to attend PROM
- Get attendance back on track to qualify for perfect attendance.
- The student is responsible for coming prepared with a chrome book, schoolwork, or something to read
- Cell phones, iPods, and other electronic devices are not allowed in Saturday school class.
- La Serna High School is NOT responsible for lost or damaged items.
- Electronic devices must be on vibrate or turned off at all times.
- Electronic devices may be confiscated if heard or seen.
- First offense: parent is required to pick up the item.
- Second offense: the item will be kept until the following school day (Monday).
- Students must attend for the entire 4 hour period in order to receive credit.
- Students who fail to follow instructions will be removed from Saturday School. NO credit will be issued for the time served.
- Students will be referred to the Dean of Students for further consequences if applicable.
- Bathroom breaks are solely for the purpose of using the restroom, students are not allowed to leave campus and return, loiter, or roam the campus.
Failure to appear may result in:
- Loss of eligibility to attend dances at La Serna and other schools
- Loss of off-campus lunch privileges
- Loss of athletic eligibility
- Possible transfer to an alternative educational setting
- Suspension for defiance
Saturday School Dates
2nd, 9th, 16th,23nd, 30th
7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
2nd, 9th, 16th
13th, 20th, 27th
3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th
2nd, 9th, 16th, 23th
6th, 13th, 20th, 27th
4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
No Saturday School on the following days:
November 11th (Veteran’s Day)
November 25th (Thanksgiving Break)
December 23rd (Winter Break)
December 30th (Winter Break)
January 6th (Winter Break)
March 30th Spring Break)
Off Campus Passes will not be issued for the sole purpose of going out to lunch
* A note or phone call from the parent/guardian must be received by the Attendance Office within 3 days of the absence.
* Saturday School will be assigned to students who do not clear their absences within 3 days.
* Once Saturday School is assigned the parent/guardian cannot clear the absence.
- Students absent more than 3 consecutive days will need a doctor's note to clear the absence as an illness.
- Students missing for a personal vacation can be cleared for a maximum of 3 consecutive days. Any additional day is posted as truant.
- The student can clear truancy by attending Saturday school. Each Saturday School clears one full truant day.
- Whenever possible, please schedule all vacations and other events for non-school days.
- Students with 10+ parent-cleared absences will require a doctor’s note to clear as illness.
- Furthermore, teachers reserve the right to not allow students to make up missed work. Without a Dr.'s note, no school work needs to be provided by the teacher (including quizzes and tests).
- Students and Parents may review absences via the Aeries portal.
- SENIORS MUST CLEAR ALL TRUANCIES BY THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. ALL SENIOR ACTIVITIES INCLUDING DANCES ARE A PRIVILEGE AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.
* If you come to school late come prepared with a note.
* If you are caught in the tardy sweep and do not have a note, you will be as assigned detention.
* Parents cannot excuse the tardy once you have been swept.
A - Absent
I - Ill-Parent Verified
J - Ill-Dr. Verified
Y - Truancy
F - Funeral
G - Government
U - Tardy > 30
V - Tardy, Excused <30
W - Tardy, Excused >30
6 - School Activity
7 - Testing
S - Suspended
8 - Viewpoint
5 - Office
3 - Saturday School