- Students absent more than 3 consecutive days will need a doctor's note to clear the absence as an illness.
- Students missing for a personal vacation can be cleared for a maximum of 3 consecutive days.
- Any additional day is posted as truant.
- The student can clear truancy by attending Saturday school. Each Saturday School clears one full truant day.
- Whenever possible, please schedule all vacations and other events for non-school days.
- Students with 10+ parent-cleared absences will require a doctor’s note to clear as illness.
- Furthermore, teachers reserve the right to not allow students to make up missed work. Without a Dr.'s note, no school work needs to be provided by the teacher (including quizzes and tests).
- Students and Parents may verify absences via the Aeries portal.
- SENIORS MUST CLEAR ALL TRUANCIES BY THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. ALL SENIOR ACTIVITIES INCLUDING DANCES ARE A PRIVILEGE AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY PARTICIPATION TO ANY STUDENT.
*Parents/Guardians you must send a note with the student after an absence. Student must go to the attendance window with the note for their re-admit slip.
GOING HOME SICK
- If you are in class, ask your teacher for a blue pass to the Attendance Office.
- A faculty member will contact your parent and issue you an Off Campus Pass.
OFF CAMPUS PASS
If you have an appointment during the day:
- Bring a note to the Attendance Office before leaving school.
- An Off Campus Pass will be issued to you.
- Meet your transportation at the Main Gate on Youngwood.
- If parent needs to pick up student please come to the attendance window with a picture I.D.
- PLEASE ALLOW 15-20 MINUTES FOR YOUR STUDENT(S) TO ARRIVE OUTSIDE OR TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE SCHOOL
Forgot your note?
Come to the attendance office one of our attendance staff will contact the parent.
Pick up your Off Campus Pass prior to leaving for your appointment.
- Questions regarding un-cleared absences:
- May be addressed with the Attendance Office.
- May only be resolved within the current grading period.
- Students contacting teachers regarding “possible” attendance errors may do so ONLY within the current grading period.
- Students must attend Saturday School to clear absences.
- Students may not attend school dances unless absences are cleared BEFORE the event.
- This also applies to being a guest at another school.
Saturday School hours:
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Students are to report to Room A201.
We encourage students to arrive by 7:55 am so as not to be marked tardy.
This is a great opportunity for students to:
- Make-up truant days or accumulated period cuts
- Makeup missed assignments/tests if arrangements are made with the teacher.
- Clear any full-day unexcused or truant absence so that students may attend school dances and activities.
- All truancies must be cleared to attend PROM (4/23/22)
- The student is responsible for coming prepared with books, schoolwork, or something to read (newspapers are allowed).
- Cell phones, iPods, and other electronic devices are not allowed in Saturday school class.
- La Serna High is NOT responsible for lost or damaged items.
- Electronic devices must be on vibrate or turned off at all times.
- Electronic devices may be confiscated if heard or seen.
- First offense: parent is required to pick up the item.
- Second offense: the item will be kept until the following school day (Monday).
- Students must attend for the entire 4 hour period in order to receive credit.
- Students who fail to follow instructions will be removed from Saturday School. NO credit will be issued for the time served. Students will be referred to the Dean of Students for further consequences if applicable.
NOTE: FAILURE TO APPEAR MAY RESULT IN:
- Suspension for defiance
- Loss of off-campus lunch privileges
- Loss of athletic eligibility
- Possible transfer to an alternative educational setting
- Loss of eligibility to attend dances at La Serna and other schools
Saturday School Dates for 2021 -2022
- No SS on 12/25 (Winter Break: 12/23/2021 - 1/7/2022)
- No SS on 3/26. (Spring Brk 3/21 to 3/25/2022)
- No SS on 4/16
A - Absent
X - Unexcused (Personal)
I - Ill-Parent Verified
J - Ill-Dr. Verified
O - Other-Excused
Y - Truancy
F - Funeral
G - Government
T - Tardy < 30
U - Tardy > 30
V - Tardy, Excused <30
W - Tardy, Excused >30
6 - School Activity
7 - Testing
S - Suspended
8 - Viewpoint
5 - Office
3 - Saturday School - Involuntary
2 - Saturday School - Voluntary