Skip to main content

La Serna High School

College » Work Permit 2020/2021

Work Permit 2020/2021



(Updated for January 21, 2021)




Please submit your application through email to Ms. Elizabeth Correa/Mrs. Laura Glass at La Serna High School.


For more information visit the Work Permit website:


  1. You must have been hired for a job
  2. Download and print a Work Permit Application (see below)
  3. Complete the "Minor's Information" and "School Information" sections of the application. Include your student ID #
  4. Have your parent/guardian fill out the "Parent" section.
  5. Take the application to the employer that hired you and have them fill out the "Employer" section. (we are unable to process a Work Permit application without the employer’s section completed and the employer and parent/guardian signatures)
  6. E-mail a PDF/picture of your completed work permit application to your school’s College Center Advisor/WE Teacher (see below)

La Serna High School:

Mrs. Laura Glass at and include Ms. Elizabeth Correa at


Once received at the District, your application will be processed within 24 hours and the Work Permit will be mailed to your home. An encrypted digital version of the work permit will also be e-mailed to you and your parent/guardian. Please note that a second e-mail will provide you with the password to open your digital work permit.



Due to COVID-19 guidelines, we cannot accept Work Permit Applications from parents or students at the District campus. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Work Permit?


A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California that allows a person under 18 years of age (minor) to hold a job. An employer who hires a minor must have the work permit on file at the business site before the minor may start the job. An employer risks getting a fine (like a traffic ticket) from a California Labor Department inspector if no work permit is on file for a minor employee. 



What if I attend a Private School, can I get a Work Permit?

If you attend a Private School within the boundaries of the Whittier Union High School District (WUHSD), you are eligible to obtain a Work Permit (WP) with the WUHSD as the issuing authority. (SEE ABOVE FOR CURRENT WORK PERMIT PROCESSING GUIDELINES)


At what age can I get a Work Permit?


In most cases, students must be at least 14 years of age to get a work permit. Infants to 17-year-olds can get an ENTERTAINMENT WORK PERMIT (see below for application and instructions) to work in the movies, on television, or do modeling. Other than this, workers under 14 years of age may do babysitting, yard work, and paper routes which do not require work permits. Although 14 and 15-year-olds may get work permits, most employers will not hire students under age 16. This is because the workers compensation insurance usually does not cover workers under age 16. Workers compensation insurance is a type of insurance employers are legally required to have that helps pay medical bills when workers get injured on the job.


To get or keep a Work Permit, must I attend school?


Yes! Requiring work permits for minors ensures that they stay in school and have parent or guardian permission to have a job. Without school attendance or permission from a parent or guardian, no work permit may be issued. If a student drops out of school, a work permit may still be obtained if he or she enrolls in continuation school, adult school, ROP (Regional Occupational Program), or community college classes.


How often do I need to get a Work Permit?


Each time a minor is hired for a new job, a new work permit must be obtained and given to the employer. In addition, all work permits expire shortly after school starts in September (or August). Therefore, even if you still work at the same job, you must get a new work permit application, complete it, get a new work permit, and give it to your employer. California lawmakers wanted to make sure that all working minors return to school for the fall semester, so they decided to make work permits expire at the end of summer vacation so that working minors would have to report to school to get new work permits.


How many hours may I work?

Workers who are ages 14 and 15 may work 3 hours on a school day and 8 hours on a non-school day for a total of no more than 18 hours per week during the school year. They may work no later than 7 p.m. Workers who are ages 16 and 17 may work 4 hours on a school day and 8 hours on a non-school day for a total of no more than 20 hours per week during the school year. Workers who are ages 16 and 17 may work no later than 10 p.m. on a school night, and no later than 12:30 a.m. on a night before a non-school day (such as Friday and Saturday nights). There are exceptions to the rules for workers ages 16 and 17. If these workers are enrolled in Work Experience they may be issued work permits that allow them to work more hours on a school day, more hours during the week, and work past 10 p.m. on a school night. Please see the Work Experience section below for more details. 


Can a Work Permit be taken away?

Yes! The work permit can be canceled and taken away at any time by the California Labor Department inspector if he or she feels it is not in the best interest of the student to work at the job site. In addition, a work permit can be canceled at a parent or guardian's request. Finally, a work permit can be canceled by the issuing authority (person who signed the work permit at the district) for a good reason. Good reasons for canceling a work permit include: student is continually absent or tardy to class, student is failing classes, student is not completing homework, student is sleeping in class, student is being asked to work during school time, or the job site is not safe.

Do you want to learn more about your rights as an underage worker?  Visit for more information today! 

For more information, please visit the District's Work Permit Website at: